new year’s eve – the civilized holiday
Fireworks by Laurie Lipton
New Year’s Eve is, I think, the most civilized of our holidays. Consider the following:
- The whole world celebrates it.
- No one is excluded based on nation, race, or religion.
- Expensive gifts aren’t necessary.
- No one argues with family over holiday dinner.
- It’s a celebration of the time we spend with each other.
- We promise to do better.
- Alcohol is imbibed, but St. Patrick’s style debauchery is not the norm. Apple cider is acceptable. This obviously doesn’t apply to South Philly.