bruce lee remains awesome
Just finished watching the documentary I am Bruce Lee and I remain impressed by Lee.
- He was huge child star in Hong Kong cinema.
- He was the 1957 dance champion in Hong Kong. His style – the cha-cha!
- He married his white girlfriend from Seattle – when interracial marriage was still illegal.
- In 1965, Wing Jack Man challenged to a fight. If Lee lost, he would stop teaching martial arts to non-Chinese. Lee did not lose.
- He taught Chuck Norris some moves.
- His martial art style incorporates move from fencing (!).
There’s also interesting sociological insights about Hollywood, how sometimes someone has to make it big on the periphery (Hong Kong) before getting accepted in the mainstream.