higher education: some basic readings
A loyal orghead asked for a post on readings that address the organization of higher education, to help them understand why the system is set up the way it is. Today, we’ll start with some basics:
- The Emergence of American University by Laurence Vesey.
- The Academic Revolution by Christopher Jencks.
- The Higher Education System by Burton Clark
- The Evolution of Educational Thought by Emile Durkheim
- The Organization of Higher Education edited by Michael Bastedo
The last volume is an anthology that summarizes recent work in a number of areas, including a chapter by me on movements and higher ed.