movement organizational structure and policy change
A loyal orghead asked me about research that links a social movement’s organizational structure to policy outcomes. I didn’t have a great answer, so I am asking the readers for references on this issue. I did offer, though, suggestions on texts that deal with with movement organizations and their structure and the relationship to outcomes of various types:
- Francesca Polletta looks at org structure and the ability to make decisions
- Kathleen Blee’s new book is an extensive look at org structure, which touches on outcomes a little bit
- I’d also look at Gamson’s Strategy of Social Protest, old but it may have some insight
- Marianne Rodgers 1996 article on radical orgs and their structure
- My recent AJS article with Michael Heaney looks at org identity and recruitment
Please use the comments to add your own recommendations.
Subscribe to comments with RSS.
Comments are closed.