waves of internet commerce
Each wave of Internet commerce “solves” a particular social issues related to computing:
- 1980s: PC computing – how to get everyone a machine
- 1990s: The email/Internet revolution – how to get everyone hooked up into the system
- 1990s (late): The Amazon/Ebay/PayPal eruption – how to solve the issue of exchanging physical goods using the Internet
- 1990s (late): The indexing revolution – how to help people quickly find information.
- 2000s: Social networking – how to build systems of tailor made communication
- 2000s (mid): Mobile devices – how to make computing mobile
So what is the 2010s about? My guess is that we’re in the middle of Internet as commodity monetizer. AirBnB turns extra rooms into lodging, Uber turns cars into transport for hire, and so forth. Interesting observation: Apple and Google are the only firms to successfully participate in two waves.
Add your comments below.